Making Falkor

The content below is not a tutorial, but is here to show some of the steps used when creating my Just-For-Fun project of Falkor, particularly in order to demonstrate the value of using core wool.

Creating Falkor the Luck Dragon was very much a labour of love.  As a child I always longed for a Falkor of my very own, but he wasn’t ever produced officially as a toy, and so my ambitions of being able to fly above the streets of Plymouth on my very own dog-type-dragon-thing were sadly to remain unfulfilled.  But when looking for a project in May 2015 it suddenly occurred to me that I could bring my wish to life, using my new-found felting skill.  There began the biggest felting challenge so far – making Falkor.

Starting Falkor – some of what I used

I had to base a lot of Falkor’s proportions around the size of the eyes I had available, and scale him according to this.  Here you can see what I started with – Exmoor Blueface core wool tops, glass eyes, finger guards, needles and a felting mat.

Falkor starts to take shape

Falkor’s head was made by making a ball until it was slightly smaller than the proportions I worked out I needed, and with a tube shape for the muzzle.  I felted these two pieces together and attached the eyes fairly early on as a focal point.

Putting the pieces into perspective

I then had to make a rough tubular shape for his body, and a second piece for his tail.  These two pieces would be sewn together later.

Face starting to be built up

Falkor’s head then had to be built up to give his face some realistic depth and expression.  Throughout this whole project I struggled with his muzzle, and took scissors to it on several occasions.

From the side


Dragon cruelty – pinning the pieces for size

At this point I had built his body up slightly in core wool and had also made him some legs.

Falkor’s Kenneth Williams impression

Working on the nose – this was a pretty tricky process and I kept returning to it throughout the project.  Falkor’s nose is very distinctive, and I wanted to be certain I’d got it right.

Checking proportions again

Suddenly his body was starting to look a little short.

Starting to come to life

At this point I sewed his head to his body so that I could work on him more as a whole – I feel that this is the point where he started to come to life.

Polymer claws

I tried felting claws for him but they looked pretty bad, so I made some out of polymer clay and glued them on with a glue-gun.  I was very happy with the results.

Putting him together

Time to start putting the various pieces together!  He now has rudimentary ears.

Falkor the Luck Dragon
Falkor the Luck Dragon – the final result

There are quite a few missing steps, as I didn’t take a record of every step of the process. However, I hope the pictures above give you some idea as to what’s involved in making a needle-felted model from start to finish (ish).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s